AUSTRALIA POST UNADDRESSED MAIL SERVICEWhen used correctly it can be a great revenue raiser
WHAT IS THE AUSTRALIA POST UNADDRESSED MAIL SERVICE?
Australia Post’s Unaddressed mail service is a great service when utilised the right way.
This service allows you to send mail to addresses which do not include a delivery address. You can choose to send to either residential addresses, business addresses or both.
The type of articles you can send include envelopes, brochures, postcards, plastic wrapped articles, folded articles and you can even send product samples.
EXAMPLES OF UNADDRESSED MAIL
A small business that wants to contact residential and/or businesses within a certain geographical area such as a new hairdresser mailing out a brochure to their surrounding suburbs or postcode.
You could be a large multinational that may want to contact prospective customers within a certain area but don’t have their contact details. For instance you may be an insurance company that wants to contact people within a certain area that has a low crime rate, and offer them lower rates due to the lesser amount of claims in that area. In this example you could use an envelope and letter going over the reasons why they are getting this offer, or you may choose to send a postcard or brochure.
Or you may be a retailer trying to increase foot traffic and sales to a local store. You could send a brochure or postcard with a special offer, or discount when they redeem the mail piece you sent out. This way you can track the effectiveness of the campaign.
UNADDRESSED MAIL SIZE CATEGORIES
There are two size categories for the Australia Post Unaddressed Mail Service, small and large. See the specifications below.
- Maximum weight: 100g
- Minimum size: 88 x 138mm
- Maximum size: 130 x 240mm
- Maximum thickness: 5mm
- Shape: Rectangular (including squares)
- Common examples: DL (110 x 220m) and C6 (114 x 162mm)
- Maximum weight: 250g
- Minimum size: N/A
- Maximum size: 260 x 360mm
- Maximum thickness: 20mm
- Shape: Rectangular (including squares)
- Common examples: C5 (162 x 229m) , B5 (176 x 250mm), C4 (229 x 324mm),and B4 (250 x 353mm)
REGULAR SERVICE V’S SELECT SERVICE
Australia Post has two different categorisations for their Unaddressed Mail Service. You can choose Regular Service that includes all available addresses within a certain locality. Or you can choose to just send to some of the available addresses within a locality.
For instance if an area has 5200 available addresses and you only want to send your mail out campaign to 3500 addresses you would use the Select Service. Or if you were to send your article to the whole 5200 available addresses you would use the Regular Service.
If you just want to send to PO Boxes within a locality you would use the Select Service. And yes, the Select Service does cost a little bit more.
If you have any questions about which one you would use, don’t hesitate to give us a call on 02 4306 0583.
WHO CAN YOU SEND UNADDRESSED MAIL TO
The Unaddressed Mail Service can be used to deliver to all private and/or business delivery points that do not bear the message “No unaddressed advertising material” or similar words. Some exceptions include community notices lodged under the Authority of:
- Local, State or Federal governments or their agencies
- Political organisations
- Religious institutions
- Educational institutions
- Charitable bodies, including benevolent and welfare societies
One other restriction is that the article must not include the name and address of the recipient.
When using the Australia Post Unaddressed Mail Service it is recommended you observe the following:
- Do not include a return to sender address. Unaddressed mail does not include a return to sender service.
- There is no requirement to print “Postage Paid” on the article. You can do it if you wish to. This simple thing can be something that you can test to see if it increases response rates. You will be amazed at what can affect ‘the success of a direct mail campaign.
- You can include a salutation such as “To The Householder” or similar words
All that you have to do is let Australia Post know what suburbs, towns, or postcodes you would like to send your mail out to by filling out the booking request form and when you would like it lodged. You can find the localities and postcodes information here and the booking form here.
UNADDRESSED MAIL PRICING
Prices* range from $0.183 to $0.505 depending on whether it is sent to the same state or if it is sent to another state, as well the size and weight of the article. (*As of November 2014). To see more pricing details you can go to the Australia Post Website page here.
Here are some other tips and information to help you get started with your Australia Post Unaddressed mail out.
- A booking form needs to be submitted to Australia Post. You need to send the form to them 2 weeks before the mail out commences. So if you wanted your mail out to be sent on the week starting 15th December, you would have to send your form to Australia Post by Friday 30th November. It is best to give yourself another day if possible to ensure it goes out when planned.
- You need to bundle the articles into lots of 100 with 2 rubber bands.
- Articles need to be lodged 5 business days prior for Same State delivery and 7 business days prior for Other State delivery.
- If you are running out of time you can select the Premium Service. Instead of having two 2 weeks lead time you can cut it down to one. Give us a call for more details.
- If your unaddressed mail out is to increase sales include an offer that is too good to refuse.
DO YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE YOUR UNADDRESSED MAIL OUT CAMPAIGN IS A SUCCESS?
We have seen a few campaigns in our time and you may find that we are able to add a few tips to help make your unaddressed mail out campaign a success. If you would like to find out how we can help give us a call on 02 4306 0583 or scroll to the bottom of this page and you can click on the “get a quote” button. Send through your details and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
OUR MAIL HOUSE SERVICES INCLUDE
DIGITAL LASER PRINTING
Digital laser printing service for personalisation and variable data.
We can offset print anything you may need for your direct mail campaign. From brochures, flyers, postcards, marketing cards, catalogues, or anything else you can think of.
Along with the quality of your list, and how appealing your offer is, copy writing is among the most important elements of your direct mail piece. We have access to some of the best copy writers in the world.
Are you unsure about direct mail? Feel a bit uneasy about it all? We can help. If you need some assistance with getting all the components together and understanding the process give us a call.
GET A QUOTE
If you would like to have some more tips as to how you can get better results with your mail out campaign, or you would like to get a quote, give us a call on 02 4306 0583 or click the button below and send through your details.